Akhenaten

built by Steve Cook

*
Click on an image to enlarge it
* * * * * * * *
Target Environment Locomotion Method
Outdoors, level terrain 3 Wheels
Sensors / Input Devices Actuators / Output Devices
Sharp IR sensors
Contact switches
12VDC Gear Motors
Control Method Power Source
Autonomous Battery
CPU Type Operating System
PIC Microcontroller None
Programming Lanuage Weight
BASIC about 20lbs
Time to build Cost to build
ongoing since June 2001 $500 so far
URL for more information
http://www.gear21.com/scook/bot/
Comments
Akhenaten started as a "large" platform for doing robotic experiments. It has been ongoing since June 2001, and will likely continue for months to come.

It is a three wheeled base with two independent drive wheels and an "idle" wheel at the front. The drive wheels are controlled through two off-the-shelf controllers from Diverse Electronic Services (http://divelec.tripod.com) (after I burned out a couple MOSFETs in H-Bridges of my own design).

Because I knew I would want several ways of controlling the wheel h-bridges (Direct control, R/C, laptop, and OOPic), I used Cat5 (Ethernet) connectors to connect to the boards. Now switching between control methods is as simple as connecting Ethernet cable.

The wheels and motors are connected directly. The spokes of the kiddy car gearmotors fit almost exactly in the spokes of the lawn mower tires I had. Because the gearmotor couldn't handle all the weight of the bot, I put short axles underneath, so the wheels support the body directly.

Most of the metal components are built with standard aluminum stock available at Home Depot and most Hobby shops. The main structure was built from scrap parts of a 19" rack mount network switch.

The onboard processor is currently an OOPic2. I'm constantly changing the sensors and the events (hey, it's an experimental platform! :), so sometimes there's no telling what it's going to do when it runs into something.

Sorted by Robot
<< PreviousNext >>

Sorted by Builder
<< PreviousNext >>

Sponsored Ad