TIKE

built by Lenny Urbano

*
Target Environment Locomotion Method
Indoors 2 Wheels
Sensors / Input Devices Actuators / Output Devices
photo-electric sensor
condensor microphone
tactile sensor switches
modified Futaba S3003 servos
Control Method Power Source
Autonomous Battery
CPU Type Operating System
BASIC Stamp None
Programming Lanuage Weight
BASIC N/A
Time to build Cost to build
2 days $145
URL for more information
http://members.aol.com/Stiglie/robotics.htm
Comments
TIKE is a small 2-wheeled robot utilizing differential steering for navigation. Using 2 Radio Shack project box covers, I glued 2 modified futaba S3003 servos for continuous rotation onto a metal cover and screwed a 5 inch screw through both plates and bolted them off. I fashioned a circuit board deck by cutting a 5 1/2" by 4 1/2" rectangle of plexiglass and mounting it on the remaining 5 inch screw clearance. Adding a grid of velcro strips on the deck to ease the robots construction aided its modularity.

TIKE's brain is a Parallax Basic STAMP I with a single 8 I/O pin port. 4 lines are required for driving TIKE's high power H-bridge motor control circuit(MOSFET). 2 of the remaining 4 pins are utilized by tactile sensor switches. This leaves only 2 pins for other sensors/ actuators. I'm working on implementing photo-electric (cadmium sulfide) sensors and a condensor microphone so that TIKE will exihibit a roach-like behavior: wandering around aimlessly until a loud noise scares him into finding a dark place to hide, and only returns to wandering after a considerable time of silence.

TIKE cost me 30$ for both servos, 40$ for the high power H-bridge, $65 for the BASIC STAMP I and the carrier board and about 10$ in plastic and plexi-glass plates and screws and bolts. A total $145. Though I'm sure if were to manufacture all the circuitry myself and substitute an MC68HC11A controller the cost would be around 60$. This is my first wheeled robot, I thought it turned out great considering I took only 2 nights to build it.

The only problems I encountered with TIKE were power management and tire traction. I initially let him roll on the plastic Futaba servo horns which caused him to slip severely on my tiled floor. I tried putting a thin layer of glue around the edge, which worked, until it started getting worn away and stringy. I got the idea to glue on a KINEX plastic wheel that has a rubber edge after seeing my brother play with it. The traction is excellent.

Sorted by Robot
<< PreviousNext >>

Sorted by Builder
<< PreviousNext >>

Sponsored Ad